Written by two experts in the publishing industry, Publish Like a Pro is the most comprehensive guide to navigating the world of self-publishing in South Africa today. Authors and independent publishing consultants, Vanessa Wilson and Georgina Hatch, explain in detail exactly what one should consider when choosing to go this route, empowering authors to create better-quality products and helping them avoid costly mistakes.
Every aspect of the publishing process is explored – from making the decision to publish and what will be required of you as an author, to all the processes required to get your book from a raw manuscript to a finished, sellable product and how to distribute it – with professional advice and best practices provided along the way.
Equipped with the ‘insider knowledge’ that Publish Like a Pro offers, self-publishers will have a greater chance of making the right decisions and reaping the rewards and profits that self-publishing can offer.
- investigates traditional publishing and independent publishing, highlighting their pros and cons;
- guides you on how to find a publisher and prepare your manuscript for publishing;
- examines different independent publishing models and budget requirements;
- explains the production process in detail, offering advice and practical know-how;
- explores printing processes and book specifications, and shows you how to prepare your book files for print;
- discusses ebooks and outlines the options for ebook conversion and online distribution;
- looks at the economics of publishing and shows you how to work out your publishing budget, set your retail price, and calculate your profit margin;
- explores sales channels, the distribution chain in South Africa, marketing strategies, and how to make your book a success;
- offers practical know-how, tips and advice throughout, with convenient worksheets and templates to help you plan, budget and prepare your files.
This book is aimed at empowering authors and subject specialists in the business of publishing, encouraging them to take control of their projects. This is only possible with the right information – information that is objective and not designed to sell a particular company, product or service. Although aimed at the author publishing independently, this book will also benefit authors who choose to go the traditional publishing route by revealing how publishing works and how books get to market.
Jam-packed with advice, tips and practical know-how, the book also provides handy templates and worksheets that authors can use to brainstorm possible book titles and subtitle; identify their target market/audience; create a copyright page; formulate their publishing budget; set up their production timeline; and plan their book structure. There is a handy glossary-come-index at the back that explains all the publishing and production terminology that may have authors baffled.
By the time you’ve finished working through this book, you will be publishing like a long-time professional.
What others say
“I have been involved in the book trade for more than 40 years as a book selector for a National Library Service and as a selector for the Leisure Books and Leserskring catalogues and online bookselling business. Yet, this very professional and practical guide has opened my eyes to the enormous amount of work that goes into producing a book. I never knew! That is exactly why this book would make such a compelling difference in the life of a budding author. To produce a high-quality, self-published book is of paramount importance for the serious author who has a lot to offer and needs to be heard. There are some works on self-publishing in the international arena, but for authors in South Africa, this very comprehensive and detailed book will make their job so much easier. I have not seen anything else as all-encompassing as this practical and useful book. I encourage all would-be authors to read it and learn!”
Lana Barnett, CEO Leserskring/Leisure Books
“This is the most comprehensive and practical guide of its kind – essential reading for all authors. Follow the advice and you’ll be well on your way to success.”
Nelisa Lunika, Community Publishing Programme Co-ordinator, Centre for the Book, National Library of South Africa